What is ITIN and why you need it

If you plan to live and work in the U.S., either for a long time or just temporarily, you should apply for the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). It serves to meet your obligations with the IRS. ITIN is also required to file taxes electronically.

You can consider it as an alternative, in case you are not eligible for an SSN.

How to apply for the ITIN

Compared to other countries and other official processes, getting your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number is very easy.

Once you have your working or student visa, or any other visa allowing you to stay indefinitely in the U.S., you only need to complete an online form and within 60 days, you receive your ITIN to your address.

Who needs ITIN?

The U.S. Individual Taxpayer Identification Number is mandatory for anyone who is required to have a U.S taxpayer number by the IRS. You also need to renew it every three years if you haven’t used it at least once. That’s why we always recommend getting your ITIN as soon as possible.

Who can apply for ITIN?

Any foreigner with valid passport, valid U.S. work/student/permanent visa and who is already in U.S. and meets this requirements:

  1. You do not have an SSN and are not eligible to obtain one, and
  2. You have a requirement to furnish a federal tax identification number or file a federal tax return, and
  3. You are in one of the following categories.
    1. Nonresident alien who is required to file a U.S. tax return
    2. U.S. resident alien who is (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return
    3. Dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien
    4. Dependent or spouse of a nonresident alien visa holder
    5. Nonresident alien claiming a tax treaty benefit
    6. Nonresident alien student, professor or researcher filing a U.S. tax return or claiming an exception

*We are not processing the ITIN application, the link above leads to our partner, tax specialist company, processing the official tax file number registration on your behalf, not the government website. However the tax number you are going to receive, is the official document issued by the government.